Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fawn Magazine Stage 2 - Week 2

Taking advice from my first meeting with Leonard, I began to research possible delivery platforms for the magazine. The first possibility was to export the magazine as an SWF file to be used on the website. This meant no external operator was needed. However this method required my web page width to be quite large, as there would be no zooming capabilities.

The only other suitable platform I found was Issuu, an online publishing platform used by many of the other online magazines I researched. This seemed like my best option as all you needed to do was upload your PDF, then use the provided code to display a read on your website. It also included an element of interactivity to the magazine, as any URL's or email addresses would automatically link for the reader. It also means that my magazine would become a part of the Issuu online database of magazines, which means people searching that database would be able to find my magazine easier.

I set aside some time this week to meet with my friend Gaia. Gaia had helped me with my initial phase on Fawn, and was going to come on board for this second page and help with the marketing and content development of the magazine. During our meeting we discussed where we had left off with the project, making notes of all the areas of the magazine that still had content missing.

During this meeting we clearly defined what we wanted from each section of the magazine. Through this we came up with ... distinct sections. Fawn Bits, Fawn Loves, Fawn Features, Fawn Illustrations, Fawn Talks, Fawn Style, Fawn Studios and Fawn Jobs.

Here is a quick run down on what each of those sections would include:
  • Fawn Bits - This would include a seasonal calendar, in particular showcasing upcoming events.
  • Fawn Loves - Items or news that the Fawn team personally love.
  • Fawn Features - 2 feature articles. This was to be the graffiti article shoot and one other undecided.
  • Fawn Illustrations - This would include a spread of illustrations from my friend Candice.
  • Fawn Talks - 2 designer interview. This was to be an interview with designer Kiran from Kid., as well as one other undecided.
  • Fawn Style - 2 fashion shoots.
  • Fawn Studios - An image heavy spread and interview on a local studio.
  • Fawn Jobs - A featured creative job interview
Lastly I started creating mock up layouts for Fawn. Leonard suggested I design the magazine first then input the content when I had it as it would be easier. I took inspiration from other magazine layouts and started creating layouts for the Fawn Studios page and Fawn Illustrations page.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment