Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fawn Magazine Stage 2 - Week 12

The final week of production was a stressful one. Although I had finished the layout I spent a lot of time going over everything and fixing any flaws that I saw, as well as inputting the correctly sized images into each section. This took quite some time which pushed me back on other task.

I finished editing the photos for the shoot and input them into the layout I had already designed. From this I moved onto finishing the editing of the cover shot. No matter how I tried I could not get the background to fully erase from the image without destroying the loose strands of hair. I couldn't leave it the way it was as the background was visibly noticeable on the Fawn logo. I decided that instead maybe I could use an image that I had already edited that was easier to separate from the background. I chose a font on image and input it into the cover layout. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the result, the image suited the cover far better than the previous image, and I had none of the same problem with it. I decided to use this image instead.

I exported a trial version of the magazine for Ben, so that we could test it on the Issuu website and reader. I exported both printed and interactive PDF's and gave them to Ben to put on the site. Both worked really well, but Ben suggested that we use the interactive PDF as the file size was a lot smaller than that of the printed PDF.

Last week I emailed all of my contacts regarding image caption, so this week Gaia and I met and went through inputting caption into the assigned spaces. It took us some time to write all the captions, as most people had really only responded with a description of what was in the image, that really wasn't appropriate for a caption. In addition to this she also helped me write the Editor's Letter, which was proved quite difficult. I kept it simple, informing our readers what we were all about and what it took for us to get the issue to them on time. 

Finally on the final day of trimester I proof read the magazine with Gaia and went through correcting any spelling errors, and correctly formatted the text. Once this was finished I exported the final version of the magazine and emailed it to Ben so that we could send the magazine live.

That night I sent out a Facebook update telling everyone that the magazine had launched and to check it out. That night I was bombarded with friends, family and stranger who had liked our page saying that they loved the magazine and were amazed at the job I'd done. It was such a great feeling of accomplishment to find out that people love the magazine just as much as I love it. And as I said in my Editor's letter although it seems like in some ways we've reached our final destination, it's very clear to me that this is the start of something truly wonderful.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment