Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My first DSLR

Well as some of you may already heard, I am now the proud owner of a Canon DSLR camera!
Yes that's right I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago (with the help of some generous relatives) and invested in a Canon 600D and 3 different lenses.



I chose the Canon 600D for a couple of reasons, it's 18mp, takes good HD video, and it fit comfortably in my hand compared to the 60D that felt a bit heavier. It also has a lot of the same functions as the 60D but for a cheaper price. 

As well as getting the 600D camera body, I also got 3 lenses (two came with the camera and one I bought myself). The camera twin lens kit came with 18-55mm lens and well as a 55-250mm lens. The 18-55mm lens is a good basic lens to start off with, as it give you a little bit of zoom when needed. The 55-250mm lens has a much larger zoom capacity, so is good for shooting objects that are further away or if you want to get quite close to your subject with out having to be standing on top of them.


As well as these lenses I opted to buy a 50mm lens as well, which is best for shooting portrait style photography. This is good when the ability to zoom isn't really necessary because you are in a controlled environment. You can just move yourself closer or further away depending on the desired shot. As there is no zoom on the 50mm lens this lens can take much sharper and brighter images then a zoom lens.


As well as getting the extra lens I also bought myself a 16GB SanDisk memory card, so that I can take lots of photos. My lecturer Leonard suggested that I should get a couple of smaller memory cards so that I can alternate between all of them when shooting in case one of them becomes corrupt. It sounds like a smart idea so I might go out and buy a couple of 4GB ones.

I would still really like to get a proper flash for my camera as well as a tripod and some reflectors so that I can be fully prepared when I shoot. However that might have to wait a couple of weeks until I have a little bit more money to burn!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment